Crispy Fried Jalapeno Honey Dills with Point Reyes Original Blue Dip
May 14, 2021
If you've never had fried pickles, you're seriously missing out. If you've had fried pickles before, we can promise you've never had any like these. Our incredibly talented cheese-making friends at Point Reyes Cheese Co. crafted this insanely addictive and lavish recipe featuring our Jalapeño Honey Dills and their bold, sweet Original Blue. It makes for a crispy, crunchy, golden brown plate of perfection. The sweet and savory notes from The Real Dill Jalapeño Honey Dills pair flawlessly with the bold, tangy, and sweet flavors from the Point Reyes Original Blue. Fun fact, this recipe marries together both of the products that started our respective companies.
Disclaimer: you may want to double the recipe because these fried pickles will disappear quickly! Best served hot with Point Reyes Original Blue Dip and an ice cold Bloody Mary.
Crispy Fried Jalapeño Honey Dills
- 1 jar The Real Dill Jalapeño Honey Dills, drained
- 2 cups oil for frying (high heat like canola or rice bran)
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Point Reyes Original Blue Dip for serving (see recipe below)
Point Reyes Original Blue Dip
- Place drained Jalapeño Honey Dills and jalapeños from your pickle jar on a paper towel-lined sheet pan. Lay another layer of towels on the top, patting the pickles and jalapeños as dry as possible. Let sit while you prepare the rest of the recipe.
- In a medium skillet, heat oil to 360-370°F over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, combine flour, milk, baking powder and egg, whisking until smooth. Let sit at least 5 minutes.
- Place panko breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl.
- Dip each pickle in batter, allowing excess batter to drip off. Then place in panko, turning over and pressing panko into batter to stick. Continue until all pickles (and those yummy jalapeños!) are coated.
- Carefully lower breaded pickles into hot oil, turning after a couple of minutes to get each side brown and crisp. Remove to a paper towel-lined sheet pan as they finish cooking.
- Serve hot or room temp with Point Reyes Original Blue Dip.
- 1 cup crumbled Point Reyes Original Blue (about 4 oz.)
- ½ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Pepper, to taste
- Minced chives and parsley, for garnish
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Garnish with extra crumbles of Original Blue, minced chives and parsley.
Recipe by Point Reyes Cheese Co.