Bloody Mary Brined Fried Chicken
- 2 lbs. bone in chicken thighs
- 2 lbs. bone in chicken drumsticks
- 1 jar of The Real Dill Bloody Mary Mix
- 16 oz. water
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 cups flour
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp pepper
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 2 cups grape-seed oil or fat of choice
- Large paper bag
- Mix water and Bloody Mary Mix together in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Soak chicken for 2 hours in the fridge.
- Put the buttermilk in another large bowl. After two hours, remove the chicken from the brine liquid and add it to the bowl of buttermilk. Soak the chicken the buttermilk at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- While the chicken is soaking in the buttermilk, put all of the dry ingredients into the large paper bag.
- After the chicken is done soaking in the buttermilk, put 2-3 pieces at a time into the paper bag with the dry ingredients. Shake to coat.
- Add the grape-seed oil to a a cast iron skillet or heavy pan. Fry each piece of chicken for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Remove the chicken from the pan as it's done frying and place on baking sheet.
- Put the baking sheet in the oven on 300 degrees for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is nice and crispy and cooked all the way through. Best served hot.
Recipe by Saudade Foods