Davy Jones' Locker | Rum Cocktail
This cocktail demonstrates a very ambitious and creative use of our the pickle brine leftover in your jars that really highlights the underlying sweetness of it. Neither caramelizing simple syrups nor using eggs in cocktails are beginner tricks, but this cocktail will raise the bar for anyone that wants to hone their mixology skills and enjoy an expertly crafted cocktail at home.
Cocktail created by Sawyer Janney at The Preservery
Combine all ingredients in a shaker and shake (without ice) for about 10 seconds.
Fill shaker with ice and shake for about 15 seconds.
- Pour into glass and garnish with a line of bitters in the foam.
To make the caramelized Pickle Brine syrup:
- 1/2 cup pickle brine
- 3/4 cup Sugar (divided)
- Put Pickle Brine from any jar of The Real Dill Pickles (we prefer Habanero Horseradish Dills) in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Turn off heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of sugar and stir until sugar dissolves.
- Pour syrup into a separate container.
- Add remaining 1/4 cup of sugar to pan and heat on medium-high heat.
- Stir frequently until sugar starts to brown and turn into a liquid.
- Add the syrup you made back into the pan. It will hiss and bubble.
- Continue stirring until the color turns to caramel.